Sunday 18 March 2012

Questions

I have decided that the title for my project is going to be "Does technology make us more or less human?".

Within this topic I am going to be asking myself questions like:

- Do these sort of technological advancements (that may eventually allow us to evade, or at least slow down, certain processes such as death and disease) aid or hinder what makes us "human"? What about cyborgs - is there a point where they stop being human, or will they always be classed as human, no matter how much they have been modified?

- What are the potential dangers and benefits of these technological advancements?

- What impact will they have on the future of humanity?

- What defines us as human?

- Social networking plays a large role in our lives today; is it making us become recluses? Are we better off without it? (Admittedly these two questions stray from the transhumanist theme, but they still fit in with my question, so I feel they are still worth looking into).

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on any of the questions, please feel free to comment. Your help is very much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. - What defines us as human?
    HUMANISM, Thinking, Interacting with each other, Communication, Ambition, Diverse emotions

    I strongly feel that technology cannot overtake/substitute/invade us humans because of the question above, 'What defines us as human'. It all refers back to the above. I love the film 'Artificial Intelligence' as you know and as most of Steven Spielberg's films deals with, humans have this humanism where it can't be compared to other species(?). A robot does not truly plead for help for their lives, they may be able to love/hate or feel extreme emotions but their emotions are unconditional and programmed. They don't necessary 'feel' pain. I feel there will always be a gap between and neither can be like each other. Well, these are my views but hope it helped!!

    ReplyDelete